Modularization of an Engine Series
Due to the following four essential changes to the market conditions, complexity is increasing rapidly for companies:
- Growth of global competition & market
- Increase of individuality & customer-specific requirements
- Different requirements of the market regions
- Shortened delivery times with low prices, as well as continuously rising performance and quality
Companies are searching for ways to reduce the emerging complexity and the customer-driven product portfolio and to increase efficiency. Platforms and modules allow for a significant reduction of complexity (and variance) while optimizing time, costs, and quality at the same time.
In the course of the development of a new engine series (large-scale engine industry), PEC was commissioned to support the project team during the determination of the cross-derivative platform and to implement a cross-series module building set.
Phase 1 | Platform Design & Potential Evaluation
- Identification and analysis of the essential levers and drivers of the product portfolio (variant analyses, driver analyses, functional analyses, interface analyses, development trends)
- From the analysis, the functional module profile follows, in which potential is evaluated at the highest level and a platform suggestion is developed.
Phase 2 | Divisional & Functional Strategies
- Screening and support with the development of the divisional strategies (Production, Purchasing, Sales, etc.)
- Support with the development of the sub-system and functional strategies: product orientation, product function
- Definition of the platform agreement in consideration of the divisional and functional strategies
Phase 3 | Module Design
- Definition of strategic orientations per module based on in-depth analysis
- Elaboration of cross-functional module concepts
- Definition of the module-cycle plan
- Documentation of the results in the module books