Switching from a PDM to a PLM Software at a Major Wind Turbine Manufacturer
With the transition of political framework conditions for the industry of renewable energy and the resulting market consolidation, OEMs and suppliers are being confronted with great challenges.
To be able to offer the market more specific solutions as quickly as possible, it is important nowadays to design product development processes that are even more efficient and effective.
This also calls for the timely involvement of the development of downstream divisions like production, sales, and service.
For this to be accomplished, focus is directed towards the use of PLM (product lifecycle management).
As an advancement of a mere PDM system (product data management), PLM systems allow for the timely definition and testing of development and service processes using a “digital twin” through mock-ups.
Digital mock-up solutions thus allow for an increased usage of “simultaneous engineering”.
During the transition from an existing PDM solution to a PLM environment, PEC acts for its customers as an intermediary party between software developers, implementers and users and supports the project during all phases of the life cycle:
- Execution of a systematic PLM benchmark with a focus on the specification of the requirements and the problem of the manufacturer
- Structuring of a classic process management organization system with the necessary committees and processes and the establishment of the elements of agile project management
- Documentation of the requirement in a suitable requirement tool
- Coordination of the PLM architecture
- Testing of the implementation together with the key users
- Change management and support of the rollout
Through PEC’s many years of experience with PLM systems in the automotive industry, PEC supports its customers in achieving PLM introduction within a significantly shorter period of time and with lower costs.